It doesn’t get any simpler than this. Three ingredients into a blender and ta-da! This simple hot sauce recipe can be made in just a few minutes and is gluten, corn, wheat, dairy, peanut, egg, soy, and nut free.
Simple Spicy Hot Sauce: 3 Ingredients
I’ve made this in about 100 variations and this is our family’s favorite recipe. We use the following ratio but often 2 or 3X it because we like it so much.
- 9 Tomatoes (hot house size) Approximately 2.5-3kg
- 6-12 Jalapeno peppers (alternatively – red thai or cayenne)
- Sea salt – to taste. About 1 tbsp per 9 tomatoes.
3 Step Recipe
- Puree tomatoes and peppers.
- Simmer on stove until volume reduces by at least 1/3. There is a lot of water in tomatoes. Once volume has reduced by 1/3, you’ll have to stir regularly to prevent sticking/burning. The more water you can remove, the better.
- Cool and refrigerate.
We’ve used both a blender and a food processor to puree the tomatoes and peppers. We’ve found that our inexpensive Hamilton Beach food processor does a better job than our premium KitchenAid 5-speed blender. We have to cut the tomatoes up into quarters for the blender to work well – otherwise, the tomatoes just hang there and need constant attention to get pushed down.
We’ve found that this freezes well. We often make up a full stew pot of hot sauce (2 gallons) and freeze it in small bags.
Don’t forget to label your hot sauce. If you try variations, this will easily get mixed up in the freezer. And you won’t remember which one is which. It’s good to label with the date and variations (spices, etc) in each.
Hot Sauce Recipe Variations
In the past, we’ve added lots of different things to our hot sauce. Some were good – others kind of distracting and others just plain bad.
Here are some of our favorite things to add:
- Garlic cloves
- Herbs: fresh cilantro, sweet basil, oregano, dill
- Apple cider vinegar
- Honey or cane sugar
Chunky Salsa Variation
Blend half the tomatoes and cube the rest. This gives some texture and something solid to put on your chips and crackers.
Squirtable Hot Sauce Variation: Ketchup
To make it smooth like a ketchup consistency, just make the recipe as above.
Then, once it has cooled, blend it again. And then simmer again. This takes out almost all of the texture and simmering it a second time helps remove most of the water.